Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Home Again


"The most basic form of resistance is wanting life to be other than it is." *



I am opening this new "home" for my writing practice (which is basically a spot for me to wonder and reflect on aspects of life) on the day before my sixtieth birthday. Truly, I am no longer young! Yet somehow this makes me happy because of all the wonderful advantages this provides me. For example, although as a young person, I claimed not to care what others thought of me, I knew that I needed to be aware of their thoughts in order to make my way in the world. Now, however, I can still see and be aware of the fact that others I come in contact with may be judging me, but I can just let go of that and continue on my way. What freedom!

On a week's vacation to the Big Island of Hawaii recently, where we stayed at a B&B chosen for its description of being a "healing center," I met a former Buddhist monk and took the refuge vows; my "practice" has now been anchored and more visibly and consciously connected to others. 

I am not a good poser of questions. Questions fly wildly in my head, buzzing about in half-form, yet I feel I rarely get to the heart of matters by posing a clear question. In part, this is because I don't believe anyone else has any answers for me. I must discover those myself (as others must for themselves). But I also recognize, of course, that a good question and response can be helpful! And so, I asked this rinpoche how someone who lives out in the middle of nowhere (as I basically do) can manage to find a "sangha" to take refuge in. He said that he'd asked that same question many years ago, and that this rinpoche answered him by walking over to him and tapping a finger on his chest. 

Yes. It's all there. 


* from an article in TRICYCLE, “Breaking Through,” How to recognize and overcome three universal obstacles to practice by Ezra Bayda

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on taking your vows of refuge! And, Happy 60th Birthday! Wow - Seems that this is a propitious time for you! Looking forward to your postings as you share your continuing, unfolding blossoming. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine---and also for finding my new space here. . . I appreciate your presence!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Chris! I was told that one's 60th birthday marks a new beginning (I think it may have been something to do with Chinese astrology). In any case, best wishes for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sixty does feel like a HUGE new beginning, Heather. I'm glad you stopped in here (after I shamelessly left my breadcrumb on your page). I love seeing and reading what you're up to. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Yes! So glad you're back.
    Please explain what vows of refuge are?
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the title of your blog, Chris....memories! Glad you're continuing to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. Yes. . . old memories and my efforts to air them out and let them go!

      Delete